Saturday 2 June 2007

In letter, not in spirit

Among all communication material, advertisements probably receive the maximum creative attention per sq cm. Communication strategies & creative routes are discussed and thrown around, each word in the copy is often debated and the art director's hair grows grayer with each campaign.

Contrast that with the amount of attention that a letter on the company letterhead receives. Many a time, letters are hurriedly typed and sent out without so much as a second look. The truth is these letters play a great role in building/damaging your brand. As a consumer, I know that your adverts are "created" with an objective (although subconsciously I might associate it with spontaneous expression). On the other hand, when I receive a letter, I take it as a personalised expression of your true intent. If an ad and a letter were to say contradictory things, I would believe the letter. If you shouted "I care for you like your mama does" in your ads and then got my name wrong in your letter, I would care two hoots for your advertising.

If an ad is akin to loud self-congratulatory drumbeats, a letter is like a personalised whisper. We do not seem to realise this and end up emitting careless whispers. I once received a letter from ICICI Bank that addressed me as Mr Aggarwal! That the letter was signed by one Smita Aggarwal provided no solace.

Guilty feet have got no rhythm...

No comments: